We love Sixpoint Craft Ales here at Bark. Not only because it’s easily New York City’s best brewery, but for the reason that, just like us, they couple passion with quality ingredients to create a delicious product that never disappoints. The microbrewery founded in Red Hook, Brooklyn in 2004 has become a prolific operation, run by a dedicated staff of brewers and beer advocates that have a real passion for what they make and do.
In the humble beginnings of Sixpoint, creator Shane Welch a Brooklynite originally from Wisconsin with a knack for the science of home brewing, went to Red Hook to start to create the local brewery that would some day become a Brooklyn commercial enterprise.
When you drink a Sixpoint draft you can see and taste the quality that makes this brewery unique. Most of their beers are unpasteurized, unfiltered, and contain live active cultures. Unlike brews from other companies, they leave the yeast in the kegs. This adds depth of flavor and a gut-healthy dose of probiotics.
You can order up a number of Sixpoint beers with your hamburgers or hotdogs here at Bark. Here’s the seasonal suds we currently have on draft.
Bark Kolsch: a dry, light bodied beer, brewed specifically for us and sold only at our location!
Bengali Tiger IPA: the brewery’s interpretation of an IPA made with citrus hops, and smells of pine and grapefruit.
Seison: an amber-hued farmhouse ale made with bold hops and amber malt.
Gorilla Warfare: a coffee porter made with Brooklyn’s own Gorilla Coffee.
6 Fun Sixpoint Facts!
1. Since at least the year 1300, brewers adorned their barrels and breweries with a six-pointed star. By the 1500s, the star became the official insignia of the Brewer’s Guild, one of the first trade guilds of Europe. The star symbolized the purity of the craft. Folklore claims the six individual points each represent six different critical elements of the craft itself: grain, water, hops, yeast, malt, and the brewer.
2. Sixpoint calls their brewers Mad Scientists.
3. Bengali Tiger IPA was not named according to the origin of an IPA, but after hearty gulps of drinking the golden orange hued beer the mad scientists noticed the white lacing left behind were reminiscent of a tiger.
4. Sixpoint’s staff feeds grains to the company chickens, who cluck around in a rooftop coop.
5. 6 Point’s motto: Beer is culture works not only as a summary of how they feel about their brews and the beer enthusiasm around it, but on the microscopic level as well… because beer literally is culture. They inform fans on their website that “every time you drink beer, you are drinking the creation of a microscopic culture. Microorganisms, usually yeast but sometimes bacteria, are the fermenting agents of beer. Brewers cultivate these microorganisms and pitch them into the wort to make beer. Beer is therefore inoculated with a bacteria or yeast culture.”
6. Sixpoint has an app for both iPhones and Androids. It lists the restaurants, bars and shops that carry Sixpoint by neighborhood, city, or zip code– or, with your GPS enabled, it will automatically show the places closest to you. You can explore the flavor profiles of the brews, directly call establishments with one click, and locate core, seasonal, and limited release beers. Bark is on the list too!